There’s more to us than just a taco shell!
How creative can you get with a tortilla?
A tortilla is a versatile ingredient used in Mexico and worldwide in several different recipes and cuisines. Although the tortilla is mainly associated with tacos, burritos or wraps, there are many other ways to get creative at mealtime when it comes to enjoying your favourite tortilla.
Here are 6 ways you can make the most out of your Casa Mendosa® tortillas, especially during #tortillamonth (if you didn’t know, it’s September!)
1. Make Migas
When it comes to breakfast, you may not automatically think of using tortillas but they make a great substitution for sliced bread or toast. This recipe for Migas is the perfect Tex-Mex-inspired breakfast of eggs & tortillas chips.
It’s a fun way of enjoying eggs, a classic breakfast staple with a little Mexican flare and flavour. All you need is;
- 12 large eggs
- Casa Mendosa® 50/50 Corn-Wheat 6 Medium Tortillas
- 1 medium onion
- ½ lb of Mexican chorizo or bacon
Lightly brush each side of your tortillas with oil and cut them into sixths. Place on a non-stick baking sheet and place in the oven at 350 °F for 15 minutes or until the chips are lightly browned and crunchy. You can always use bacon or sausage, but chorizo sausage is a must if you are looking for a more Mexican-themed breakfast dish.
- In a medium bowl, stirfry together the eggs and tortillas chips.
- In a cast-iron or medium frying pan, heat a touch of olive oil and chopped onion, stirring until softened. Add the chorizo sausage, breaking up any lumps until the sausage is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg mixture into the pan and cook over medium-high heat, frequently stirring, until set but still moist, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve this dish with a favourite salsa and additional chips for eating the Migas.
Chilaquiles is a Mexican dish of tortilla chips smothered in chilli sauce and can be eaten for breakfast or dinner. This chilaquiles recipe is sure to change your opinion on this dish and will be something you want to make over and over!
Try making your own tortillas chips by using Casa Mendosa® 50/50 Corn-Wheat Medium Tortillas. Simply; bake them or fry them depending on your preference. To make the red chilli sauce, you need seven dried guajillo chiles, one can of whole tomatoes, drained, one medium white onion, garlic, jalapeno, sweet paprika, vegetable oil, honey and salt.
- Place the chillies in a medium bowl and cover them in 2 cups of boiling water. Let them soak for 15 minutes or until softened. Drain, reserving soaking liquid. Discard stems and seeds; place chiles in a blender. Add tomatoes, the following four ingredients, and 1 cup reserved soaking liquid; puree until smooth.
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove over medium/high heat. Add puree and bring the chilli sauce to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, occasionally stirring, until the sauce thickens about 15 minutes. Stir in honey and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Combine your homemade chips in a medium bowl with one cup of sauce. Transfer half the chips into a skillet. Scatter half of the cheese over the chips. Top with the remaining chips and cheese and another ½ cup of sauce. Place the skillet in the oven and broil until the cheese is melted.
- If you are a fried egg fan, top your chilaquiles with a runny yolk, chopped onions, radishes, cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Serve the dish with as much sauce as you desire. We always recommend more.
Pizza is loved by all and not something that many would challenge you on. When you’re in a pinch and craving the beloved treat, a Casa Mendosa® is the perfect base to satisfy your last-minute pizza craving with what you already have in the fridge. Turn your oven to 350 °F, and place a Casa Mendosa® Whole Wheat 10″ Tortilla on a baking sheet. We recommend using our burrito-sized tortillas for a larger serving but if you don’t feel like sharing and want your own individualized pizza any of our large tortillas will do the trick. You can top your tortilla pizza crust with tomato sauce and mozzarella and bake for 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown or you can up your tortilla pizza game with our Veggie Taco Tortilla Pizza recipe that really brings some flavour and colour to the table.
4. Taco salad
A taco salad combines delicious Mexican-inspired flavours, but you often miss the crunch of a tortilla to bring it all together. Shake up your taco salad by serving it in a tortilla bowl (for more cheesy flavour, try our Queso Tortilla Bowl recipe).
Turn your oven to 350 °F pull out a non-stick cake pan and lightly spray with oil. Place your Casa Mendosa® tortillas in the pan and make them fit as best as you can. Bake in the oven until the tortillas are crispy and shaped.
Place your baked tortillas bowl on a plate and fill it with all the toppings. Romaine lettuce, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes, green onion, cheddar, guacamole, salsa, and seasoned ground beef (feel free to substitute with chicken, tofu or beyond meat etc). Toss your salad in your tortillas bowl and enjoy.
5. Tortilla Chicken Drumsticks
This is a perfect make-ahead dish for the week ahead that is similar to chicken tenders with a bit more added crunch. All you need is;
- 1 large sandwich bag
- 4 cups (8 oz) of tortilla chips (get our recipe here)
- 4 tsp. of chilli powder
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ lbs. of drumsticks or chicken breast (whichever you prefer) or Extra Firm Tofu for a meatless option
Preheat your oven to 450F. Place your chips in a food processor until coarsely ground. If you don’t have a food processor, place your tortilla chips (our awesome recipe for these is here) into a big freezer bag and use a rolling pin or glass to crunch the tortillas. Place the crunched tortilla chips into a shallow bowl. Whisk an egg in a small bowl adding chilli powder—season chicken with ½ tsp. of salt. Dip drumsticks (or meat alternative) into the egg, letting excess drop off, then coast with crumbs pressing to help the chips stick. Transfer to a sheet pan and bake until cooked through 40 to 45 minutes. This will be your new favourite homemade go-to chicken finger recipe.
6. Tortilla Soup
As it gets cooler, it feels natural to start enjoying warmer foods and homemade tortillas soup is definitely a list topper. Tortilla soup has many layers of flavour, crunch, and veggies, and is a very satisfying bowl of soup you’re sure to continue to crave.
All you need is:
- 1 Four pound chicken
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 dried chipotle chiles
- 1 Jalapeno with seeds
- The juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups of corn
- Tortilla chips for serving (again, our recipe can be found here – you will love it!!)
This recipe is so delicious and can be made in a dutch oven or a crockpot.
We’ve got you covered so do your best, get creative with your tortillas AND get a lot more out of it than just tacos!
If you are planning any themed parties or get-togethers in the near future check out our “7 must-try fiesta recipes“. If you are looking for more inspiration with a few helpful tips on how to create your “Own Mexican Dinner Night at Home“. Give these recipes a shot and share them with us on Instagram and with your friends and family.