Sweetly inspired tortilla recipes for Halloween treats
Halloween is not just for kids, or at least what we tell ourselves.
Who doesn’t want to make the most of the celebration each year? We all have one night to be creative, think outside the box and be someone we usually aren’t. Whether you plan on going out and celebrating this year or keeping it casual by entertaining at home, we wanted to share some of our favourite sweet treat recipes that are quick, easy and can all be made using Casa Mendosa® Tortillas.
Entertaining on a festive evening should be fun, easy and provide minimal stress. Suppose you are having friends over and looking to whip something up quickly. In that case, this recipe will excite the crowd to know the end. This Baklava-Inspired Tortilla is necessary, especially if you have a bit of a chocolate hangover from all the Halloween candy. All you need are the following ingredients and an appetite for something sweet and crunchy.
- 1 Casa Mendosa® Original Large Tortillas
- ½ cup crushed pistachios
- ¼ cup of honey
- 2 tbsp. of butter
- 1 tsp. of cinnamon
- Optional: raspberries, strawberries or chocolate sauce.
- Start by placing a tortilla on a cutting board or smooth surface and cut from the center of the tortillas to one edge doing your best to create a “Peace Sign.”
- Spread the ingredients evenly on each section, adding a ¼ cup of honey to 1 area, 1/3 cup of crushed pistachios to another section and 2 tbsp. of butter to the last section.
- Fold in thirds and add to a panini press or a warm saucepan, letting it cook until it’s golden brown.
- Once toasted, a slightly crispy, drizzle honey on top, add remaining crushed pistachios and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with fruit if you would like, serve and enjoy!
This recipe is quick, easy and soo delicious. If you are not a honey fan, you can always swap it out for chocolate sauce, caramel or maple syrup.
If you want to satisfy your and your guests’ chocolate craving, this Dulce De Chocolate Cookie Wrap is quick and OHHH SOOO delicious.
- 2 Casa Mendosa® Original Large Tortillas
- 1 cup of crushed cookies (Oreos, Chips Ahoy etc.)
- 4 tbsp. Dulce de Leche (store-bought or homemade)
- ½ cup grated dark chocolate
- One banana thinly sliced
- Optional: Coconut or regular whip cream for dipping
- Start the recipe by laying one tortilla flat on a board, and cut a slit from the center of the tortilla towards the edge of the tortilla.
- Spread the Dulce de Leche on the bottom left quadrant
- In the top left, sprinkle the cookie crumbs.
- To the right of the cut, add grated chocolate and arrange to slice the banana in the remaining quadrant.
- Fold the bottom left of the tortillas upwards over the cookie crumbs, continue folding to the right over the chocolate, and finally fold downwards over the slices of bananas.
- Cook the folded wrap in a panini press until golden brown and crispy.
- Alternatively, if you do not have a panini press, cook it in a dry frying pan for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with coconut or regular whip cream and Mexican coffee, and enjoy!
It takes 15 minutes and a little creativity to make this delicious dish. Also, if you want to make your dessert a little more, Halloween-themed, use the Dulce De Leche sauce on top of the tortilla and create a cobweb, pumpkin or gravestone (using a little icing or chocolate sauce). Instead of cookie crumbs, you can use a pumpkin spice mixture.
If you want to make the most of the Halloween candy you purchased, this recipe is a great way to get your guests involved in the fun or dessert. I think it’s pretty much impossible for someone to turn down homemade Ice Cream Churro Tacos. All you need are the following ingredients to make this a memorable dessert.
- 6 Casa Mendosa® Original or Whole Wheat Medium Tortillas
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp. melted butter
- ¾ cups of your favourite flavour of ice cream or frozen yogurt
- 2 cups chocolate chips or chopped-up candy bars
- 1 tbsp. of butter
- 1 tbsp. Corn syrup
- a pinch of chipotle powder or cayenne
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- Topping bar: chopped nuts, sprinkles, whip cream, candies, chocolate bars, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Brush the melted butter onto one side of a Casa Mendosa® tortilla. Combine cinnamon and sugar and generously sprinkle over the butter tortilla shell. Fold the tortillas in half using the prepared aluminum foil tubes, with the cinnamon sugar side on the inside, creating the taco shell.
- Place the taco shells in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the tortillas are golden brown and stiff to the touch. Allow the taco shells to cool, and remove the foil tubes.
- In a microwave-proof dish, melt chocolate, butter, spices and corn syrup at 10-second intervals, stirring each time until the mixture comes together in a smooth dipping consistency. Do not overcook
- Take the cooled taco shell, carefully pack with slightly softened ice cream and smooth around the edges with a spoon or a knife.
- Working quickly (do the ice cream doesn’t melt), dip the taco edges in chocolate and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes (allowing the ice cream to set)
- Serve along with the topping bar, sprinkle with your choice of decorations and enjoy.