Made with passion
RecipesMade with passion
Beef and Bean Tortilla Empanada
Serves 6 / 35 mins
- 6 Casa Mendosa™ Original Medium Tortillas, warmed
- 1 pound (454g) ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (473ml) refried beans
- 1 cup (240ml) Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons (20ml) canola oil
- To garnish: sour cream and salsa
- 2 eggs, whisked for egg wash
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 35 minutes
- In a large cast-iron or alternative heavy skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning; remove from skillet and set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- In a small saucepan, cook refried beans over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- In the wiped clean skillet warm Casa Mendosa™ Original Medium Tortillas for 10-15 seconds on each side, making them more pliable and ready for filling.
- Place 2 teaspoons of ground beef filling, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese in the center of the tortilla.
- Fold over tortilla and moisten edges with egg wash; press to seal with fork. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218ᵒC). Place all empanadas in a baking tray coated with cooking spray.
- Lightly brush empanadas with additional egg wash for shine.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown.