Made with passion
Mexican Shredded Beef Tacos
Serves 2 / 3 1/2 mins
For the Spice Mix:
- ½ tbsp. (7.5ml) chipotle powder, adjust spiciness to taste
- 1 tsp. (5ml) paprika
- 1 tsp.(5ml) dried oregano
- 1/3 tsp. (1.6ml) ground allspice
- 1/3 tsp.n (1.6ml) coriander powder
- 3/5 tsp. (3ml) onion powder
- 3/5 tsp. (3ml) garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp. (1.6ml) salt
For the Beef:
- 1/2 tablespoon (7.5ml) olive oil
- 1 lb. (454g) beef chuck or brisket (any other slow cooking beef), cut into 4 pieces
- 1 ½ garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 onion, diced
- ¼ cup (60ml) orange juice
- 3/5 tablespoon (9ml) lime juice
- ½ cup (120ml) crushed can tomatoes
- 3/5 cup (150ml) beef or chicken broth/stock
- 1/8 cup (140ml) water
- Salt and pepper to season
To Serve Options:
- Warmed small tortillas, avocado slices, Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges and extra cilantro/coriander leaves.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
For The Beef:
- Sprinkle 4 tsp. of the spice mix over the beef and pat, so it sticks.
- In a large heavy-based pot over high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the beef (in batches if necessary) and brown well on all sides. Remove and place onto a plate.
- Turn the stove down to medium, if the pot looks dry, add more olive oil. To the pot add the garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the orange juice and lime juice, then scrape the bottom of the pot so the brown bits mix into the liquid. Add tomato, beef stock, water and remaining spice mix. Mix, then return beef into pot. Put the lid on the pot, bring to a simmer then turn the stove down so it is bubbling gently, not rapidly.
- Cook for 2 hours, then remove lid and simmer for another 30 minutes until beef is tender enough to shred. Remove the beef from liquid, shred beef with 2 forks. Leave the liquid to simmer with the lid off for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce and thicken to your desired consistency. Adjust salt to taste. Optional: puree with an emersion blender to make it smooth. Toss beef back into the sauce, can reserve some Sauce for drizzling on tacos if desired.
- Transfer beef into large dish and serve.
For the Spice Mix:
- In a bowl, combine chipotle powder, paprika, oregano, allspice, coriander powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
For the Tacos:
- To make tacos, serve the beef with warmed Casa Mendosa® 50/50 Corn-Wheat 6 Medium Tortillas, avocado slices, Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese, sour cream, lime wedges and extra cilantro/coriander leaves.